Snow Globes have become increasingly popular over the years and not just for the holiday season; I’ve spotted them at gift stores throughout the year with cats, unicorns, and other cute things inside them. So instead of buying a bunch for my home (including for my daughter’s bedroom), I thought I’d try my hand at a Snow Globe DIY first. Guess what? They’re super easy to make! Now you can make snow globes for your home with all the miniature things inside them! Dinosaurs, Star Wars figures, trees, whatever your heart desires!
Snow Globe DIY Supplies:
- empty food jars*
- Goo Gone
- miniature items
- Krazy glue or Epoxy or any strong glue that works on metal/plastic
- distilled water
- paint (optional)
*I used baby food jars for this DIY. I believe you could use any food jar however; pasta sauce, jam, olive jar. These jars have a gummy plastic ring on the inside of the lid that prevents leaking. If you were to use a mason jar, for example, you’d have to glue a rubber ring inside the lid to make a tight seal to prevent leaking.
1. Wash jar thoroughly and use Goo Gone to remove the label.
2. Paint the lid if you want. I used leftover paint I had on hand but you could use spray paint and make these more festive or to match a room in your home. I let the lids sit for 24 hours to dry.
3. Make sure the inside of your lid is dry. Glue the miniature item to the inside of the metal lid. Once again, I let them dry for 24 hours.
4. Add a teaspoon of glitter to the jar. This was for the small baby jars. Add more if you’re using a larger jar.
5. Fill the jar with distilled water.
6. Add approximately 5 drops of glycerin. Once again, add more for a larger jar. This helps ‘thicken’ the water so the glitter floats more and doesn’t just drop.
7. Screw the lid onto the jar. Be careful of your glued on miniature.
Ta da! They’re super cute!
I’m very happy with how they turned out, especially for a first try. Also, they’ve been sitting in my house for over a week now and no leaking has occurred! I’ll be scouring the craft stores for more miniatures and saving baby food jars now so I can make another batch of these.
Please share your own finished Snow Globes if you give this DIY a try.