I wanted to do a fun craft activity this year for camp, and recently made my own t-shirt tote so I thought it would be fun to share this easy no sew craft. It’s very easy to customize and a great idea for gifts for anytime of year. And with t-shirts coming in all sizes, you can make them for children as well.
So let’s get started!
- old t-shirt or new if you like
- some markers to decorate with
- decorating supplies as needed (glitter, patches, iron on transfers, etc)
1. Find an old tee you that may have been worn out but you don’t want to get rid of, or a new one that may be too small, or just a tee you don’t mind cutting up.
2. Turn it inside out and lay it flat on a table or the floor.
3. Cut the sleeves off, and then cut the collar off as far down you want the handles to be.
4. Then cut the bottom into strips. You’ll want to make them a couple inches long.
5. Grab the first 2 strips (front and back) and tie then together in a single knot. Take the next 2 and do the same. Next take one from the left pair and one from the right pair and tie then together. Then move on to the next pair, and then tie one from the left pair and one from the right pair.
Do this until you get to the end. You may need to tie the pairs at either end into another knot.
6. Turn the shirt inside out so now it’s the right way, and decorate the front. Use markers, glitter, sequin, whatever you like.
Be careful using your tote bag for anything small, you may loose things out the holes. These bags are better for bigger things, and also things that aren’t too heavy.