Since I have it under good advisement that Magrathea is still waiting for an improvement in the galactic economy that will make it feasible to afford their services once again, we’re having to take matters into our own hands. Literally. Then again, if you want a world full of creative coastlines and soaring mountain ranges, maybe it’s best to do it yourself. So grab your towel and let’s head to the kitchen to whip up a batch of the foundation element of creation: Playdoh.
Consider: When was the last time YOU actually sat down and let your imagination run wild with a handful of the squishy colorful magic that is sculpt-able dough?
We think it’s about time you did.
We think it’s about time we did too. Plus, if you make a spectacularly wonderful world maybe you’ll get a nice office down the hall from Slartibartfast.
To begin: we recommend making your own playdoh. It’s easy, economical, and with a little food color or liquid watercolor you can customize the colors effortlessly.
A recipe we really like can be found here. To summarize, you’ll need:
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 1/4 c. salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cream of tartar
- 5 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2.5 cups flour
- food coloring or liquid watercolors
1. Mix everything EXCEPT the food coloring together in a large pot until somewhat smooth. It will be lumpy. Not to worry, the dough will get smoother as it cooks.
2. Cook the dough over a low heat. Mix frequently. The water will slowly cook out of the mixture and you’ll notice it starts to take on a sticky dough appearance. Keep mixing until the edges of the dough along the side and bottom of the pan appear dry. Pinch a piece of dough. If it’s not gooey, the dough is ready.
3. Place the dough on a counter top or large cutting board that can withstand a little food coloring.
4. Knead the warm dough until it’s smooth and then divide it into the number of colors that you’d like to make.
5. Add the desired color to each ball and knead in until the color has evenly distributed.
6. Play immediately or store in airtight ziplock baggies for future use.
Once you’ve crafted your batch of world making medium, or opened a couple of containers of that salty clay goodness from the store, get to work!
These things don’t build themselves.
Also, the Vogons are looking for something new to demolish.