To the excitement of its fans, Frozen 2 (2019) is out now for streaming on digital and Blu-Ray. Much like the first entry into Arendelle, Frozen 2 was instantly a hit upon release in the theaters. In fact, it did so well it is now considered the number one animated feature of all time. That’s pretty impressive. Since the theatrical release the soundtrack to Frozen 2 has gone on to do some pretty impressive things too (like being certified Gold by the R.I.A.A. and racking up over 1.7 Billion global streams). But, does it hold up upon repeat viewings outside of the theater? Spoiler alert – it does!
I had the distinct pleasure of watching Frozen 2 in the movie theater with my sister and her two daughters. Interestingly enough, both generations of sisters have found an affinity for Anna and Elsa. And it seems every pair of sisters shakes out into an Anna and an Elsa (With my sister and I, I’m the Anna – go figure). Watching with this group, “The Next Right Thing” was a very tearful scene, for all of us. Upon a rewatch, alone in my own home with the gorgeous sound and video on the Blu-Ray, it’s no less powerful. The grief and pain along with the determination are so very real and the song can be a lesson and a mantra for all of us.
The whole movie plays beautifully on both disc and digitally. The color palette pops just as much as it did in the theater and with the ability to be closer to the screen you can see so many more details. Plus, after watching the special bonus feature “Did You Know??” I learned that all of the vegetation in depicted in the film is authentic. Filmmakers consulted with a botanist from Norway to make sure all the flora was accurate to the region. That’s a pretty cool fact.
I also learned about some of the hidden Disney Easter eggs. Did you know Baymax and Dumbo, among others make an appearance? Owning the film allows to opportunity to go back and spot things like that. I love being able to own a film and discover new secrets. Or just play my favorite song scene over and over. Plus, as another special bonus feature Weezer does a live reenactment of Kristoff’s epic ballad. It’s pretty great!
“Frozen 2” is now available on Digital in 4K Ultra HD™, HD and Movies Anywhere and on 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD.
Blu-Ray and Digital Bonus Features
Bonus features may vary depending on the retailer and format, but you can expect a lot of great stuff including (but not limited to):
- Sing-Along Version of the Movie – Sing along with your favorite songs as you watch the movie.
- Song Selection – Jump to your favorite musical moments, with on-screen lyrics. Songs include Oscar®-nominated “Into The Unknown,” “All Is Found,” “Some Things Never Change,” “When I Am Older,” “Lost in the Woods,” “Show Yourself,” and “The Next Right Thing”
- Outtakes – Laugh along with the cast of “Frozen 2” as they record their lines, sing their songs and have fun in the recording booth.
- Deleted Scenes
- Deleted Songs
- The Spirits of “Frozen 2” – Cast and crew explore the Scandinavian and Nordic mythology that inspired the spirits inhabiting the enchanted forest of “Frozen 2.”
- Did You Know??? – Olaf asks us the question “Did You Know” as we discover “Frozen 2” fun facts, Easter eggs and tidbits about the making of the film.
- Music Videos – Weezer and Panic! at the Disco lend their voices to a few of the soaring melodies from “Frozen 2.”
And more! What a great bargain! So much extra to watch beyond just the beautiful film.
About Frozen 2
In “Frozen 2,” the answer to why Elsa was born with magical powers is calling her and threatening her kingdom. Together with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven, she sets out on a dangerous but remarkable journey. In “Frozen,” Elsa feared her powers were too much for the world. In the highly anticipated sequel, she must hope they are enough. From the Academy Award®-winning team—directors Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck, producer Peter Del Vecho and songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez—“Frozen 2” features the voices of Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff and Josh Gad.