DC Comics has brought a massive off-site activation to Comic Con International: San Diego 2018 (SDCC) to give fans a chance to experience and learn more about DC Universe. DC UNIVERSE is a new first-of-its-kind digital subscription service designed especially for DC fans.
Over half a dozen immersive, interactive experiences are available for fans to walk through during the convention and experience the DC Original Series, DC Classic films and tv series, the comics that will be available through the new digital service. We got a first look on Preview Night.
About DC Universe
DC Universe, launching in fall 2018, is a standalone digital experience designed for the DC fan. Showcasing DC’s iconic characters, DC Universe offers new original live-action and animated series, legendary films and series, and epic animated movies, as well as a fan community, a curated selection of comic books, and exclusive merchandise. DC Universe is operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks under license from DC Entertainment and in collaboration with Warner Bros. Digital Labs. DC Universe offers access to exclusive content and experiences not available anywhere else. To learn more, visit www.dcuniverse.com.
At the activation, fans get a chance to play with tablets loaded with a sample of the new service. The service will give fans the chance to explore the new original content, classic series like Birds of Prey or Wonder Woman (1975), and comics. Through DC Universe you can digitally read a huge library of comics, including Action Comics #1! Fans can explore an encyclopedia of knowledge about characters and learn what comics to read to delve deeper. Jim Lee, while speaking at the launch of the activation, mentioned that you can even read the comics on your tv screen. Imagine 50 inches of Action Comics #1!
Despite being a huge fan of DC Comics and related properties, when DC Universe was announced, I was skeptical. After all, how many streaming content services do people really need? But now, after previewing the content that will be available, I’m convinced it will be worth the expense. I know I’ll be subscribing and eagerly awaiting the launch this September.
About the Activation
In addition to previewing the actual DC Universe service, Warner Bros. Digital Networks and DC Entertainment brought several interactive spaces to the activation. Giant Spoon, the creative agency behind the successful “Westworld” activation at SXSW 2018, created the large off-site activation. They brought content being developed for DC Universe to life in entertaining and interactive ways. The installation is located in the plaza area of the Hilton Gaslamp (where last year’s Netflix installation took place). It welcomes fans into interactive spaces that bring iconic characters and stories to life.
While visiting the activiation you can:
- Explore Dick Grayson’s Titans loft and uncover clues to his whereabouts – Crack the code!
- Experience the mysterious creations of Dr. Niles Caulder in the Doom Patrol lab – Eat the treats.
- Avoid succumbing to the deadly virus in the mystical swamps of Swamp Thing – Watch your step!
- Join earth’s newest superhero team in the Young Justice Watchtower – Who will you be?
- Create mayhem in the Harley Quinn chaos room – Relieve some stress.
- Step into the sewers with Batman and descend into madness in The Court of Owls – Be wary.
- Enjoy the first public unveiling of rare artwork and memorabilia only previously seen in exclusive engagements
- Discover hidden clues and get an exclusive first-look at the DC UNIVERSE digital subscription service
- And more
Stop By If You’re In San Diego
If you’re down in San Diego you can stop by and experience it all for yourself during the run of the convention. Here’s the details:
- Dates: Thursday – Sunday, July 19 – 22, 2018
- Hours: Thursday – Saturday hours: 9:30 AM – 7:00 PM (line closes at 6:00 PM), Sunday hours: 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM (line closes at 4:00 PM)
- Location: Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, 401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101
- Pre-registration link: DCUniverseExperience.com
Signing up for the DC Universe Experience online in advance allows guests to streamline the onsite admission process. Pre-registration does not allow guests to reserve their spot or bypass the line. The activation is open on a first-come, first-served basis but you should check it out and pre-order the new streaming service (you’ll get an extra three months and be entered into the sweepstakes to attend the Aquaman premiere).