I’m the type of person who tries to win people over with cupcakes, cookies, or just anything homemade. Not too surprising, right? One of my go-to gifts for loved ones is to make them a cake or a batch of their favourite cookies. So far this has worked out for me and I’ve had no complaints! For this month’s theme, Notice Me Senpai, I wanted to bake something extra magical and sweet that would get my Senpai to notice me. Magical Cinnamon Rolls!
Cinnamon Rolls used to scare me when I thought about making them from scratch. It was the whole yeast thing and letting them rise. Last year I came across a no rise cinnamon roll recipe that seemed easy enough. After making them a couple of times I can tell you these are super easy to make and beyond delicious! They’re the perfect sweet gift to give to someone that you want to notice you.
Ingredients for dough:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
red food colouring (optional)
Ingredients for filling:
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
Ingredients for topping:
1/2 cup icing sugar
water (or milk, amount depends on how thick you want your glaze)
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Make filling – mix softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl to form a crumbly mixture. I find it easiest to use your hands for this.
3. Sprinkle half of this filling mixture on the bottom of a 9×9 pan. Put the leftover filling mixture aside.
4. Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a bowl. Cut in softened butter until combined. I wanted to make my dough pink so I added red food colouring to my milk and then mixed the pink milk into my dough.
5. At this point, take of your rings and mix the dough with your hands. It’s much easier than using a spoon. Knead dough on a floured surface until you have a soft dough.
6. Roll out dough with a rolling pin. Make a rectangle (or rectangle-like shape) that’s about 1/4″ thick. Spread the remaining filling mixture onto dough.
7. Roll dough up with mixture inside. Slice rolls from your dough log that you’ve made. I was able to get 9 slices out of my cinnamon log. Place your rolls evenly in your pan.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
9. Mix your icing sugar and water to get the right consistency for your glaze. Drizzle over your cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven. Add sprinkles!
Adorable, right? This recipe can be changed up and you can theme the sprinkles any way you like! I have to admit, I had Magical Girls on the brain when picking out my sprinkles.
Let us know if you try this recipe! We’d love to see photos shared using #IggleNoms :3
Which magical girl would love to devour these cinnamon rolls? Do these delicious and colorful treats remind you of any characters? Let us know in a comment!