I’ve always been of the opinion that there’s a great comic book out there for everyone. I love making recommendations to folks – especially new readers – and helping them grow a love for one of America’s unique forms of literature.
So, let me tell you what to read this week.
The Big Con Job #1
Writer: Palmiotti, Jimmy
Artist: Stanton, Dominike “Domo”
Cover Artist: Conner, Amanda
WHY WE LOVE IT: Comics veteran Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn) is a master at crafting humorous, snarky comics, and for The Con Job he’s teamed up with longtime comics journalistturnedwriter Matt Brady (Buck Rogers) and artist Dominike ‘Domo’ Stanton (Deadpool) for a unique heist story. They’ve put the ‘con’ back in comic conventions. WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: In the mood for a characterdriven, comic book convention crime caper? Palmiotti and Brady have crafted a Galaxy Quest meets Ocean’s 11 style crime story set in the largerthanlife backdrop of the modern convention circuit. You thought cons couldn’t get any bigger? You have no idea. WHAT IT’S ABOUT: After working the same convention circuit for many years, a group of flabby action heroes, aging sex symbols, and scifi bit players have become close friends as they watch their lines get shorter and their autographs get cheaper. That is, until they hire a cocky new booking agent who offers them their only chance at a comfortable retirement by robbing one of the largest cons in the country!
Definitely a little bit of everything for the comic book fan. Palmiotti and Brady intertwine nostalgia with pieces of modern-day conventions. It’s sad, too, and this issue sets up the big heist.
Writer: Lemire, Jeff
Artist: Nguyen, Dustin
Cover Artist: Nguyen, Dustin
One young robot’s struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet. A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey that pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from the creators of Trillium, Sweet Tooth, and Little Gotham. Extra-sized first issue. 30 story pages for only $2.99!
Definitely one of the most impressive first issues to come out this year. Already putting this series on my ‘to-watch’ list for best of 2015. Lemire and Nguyen are an amazing team.
Rat Queens #9
Writer: Wiebe, Kurtis J.
Artist: Sejic, Stjepan
Cover Artist: Jenkins, Tyler
‘THE FAR REACHING TENTACLES OF N’RYGOTH,’ Part Four Life in Palisade is a goblet of toasty sweet mulled wine. But this issue is the skull-pounding headache the next morning when all you’re left with is the consequences. And they are life-changing, awful ones at that. Special cover by superstar artist JENNY FRISON!
Baby. Hannah. Not the best jumping-on point for fans, but I’m just too excited about the return of the comic – and the introduction of Stjepan Sejic.
All-New Hawkeye #1
Writer: Lemire, Jeff
Artist: Perez, Ramon K.
Cover Artist: Perez, Ramon K.
* Hawkeye returns in an all-new series featuring superstar writer Jeff Lemire in his Marvel debut and Eisner Award-winning artist Ramon Perez, as they bring you a fresh new look into the life of everyone’s favorite Avenger. With Kate Bishop, his trusted ward and protégé back at his side (not titles she would use), Team Hawkeye is thrown into an all new adventure spanning two generations of avenging archers. Past and present lives collide as Kate and Clint face a threat that will challenge everything they know about what it means to be Hawkeye.
* But no one puts Hawkeye in a corner.
Two Lemire series starting this week! I’m curious to see where he takes Hawkeye next after Fraction’s stellar run.
Princess Leia #1
Writer: Waid, Mark
Artist: Dodson, Terry
Cover Artist: Dodson, Terry
* When Princess Leia Organa was captured by the Empire as a Rebel spy, she never betrayed her convictions, even in the face of the complete destruction of her home world, Alderaan. When her rescue came, she grabbed a blaster and joined the fight, escaping back to the Rebel Alliance and helping strike the biggest blow against the Empire-the destruction of the Death Star. But in the aftermath of that victory, the question remains…what is a princess without a world?
* Writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, S.H.I.E.L.D.) and artist Terry Dodson (Avengers & X-Men: Axis, Uncanny X-Men) bring us a story of Leia’s quest to help her people and find her place in the galaxy.
GUYS!!!!! IT’S HERE!!!! This is the Star Wars book I’ve been looking forward to since the franchise moved to Marvel. I’m pretty sure this book was made for me.
Writer: Hopeless, Dennis
Artist: Rodriguez, Javier
Cover Artist: Rodriguez, Javier
NEW COSTUME! NEW STATUS QUO!
* With SPIDER-VERSE in the rear-view, Jessica strikes out to make a new life for herself.
* But she’s not going to do it alone, as she’s joined by new SPIDER-WOMAN supporting cast-mate and classic Marvel character BEN URICH!
Ok, so this series had a rough start. I’m willing to overlook the first four issues, Marvel, if we agree to start new series with an updated costume and fresh perspective.
That’s it for this week’s pull list! If you have any recommendations for comic fans (and non-fans) out there, share them in the comments section!