It’s craft-a-mageddon! Ah! Glue guns are attacking, and mushroom clouds of glitter are forming everywhere! We want to celebrate all things crafty, creative and artistic this month. We’re showcasing 9 hand-crafted and geeky goodies, from a variety of crafting mediums and styles, in the hopes of inspiring you to get down and dirty whit your own crafting supplies. So pull out your crafting tools and get to creating – or just get to shopping!
1. “Eat Sleep Craft Repeat” gold foil print by FoiledAgainPrints: Word art is definitely more my style of art, as a graphic designer and minimalist art lover. And gold foil (or any kind of foil) is the shiniest way to showcase a sentence! This mantra could be hung in your crafting lair, and will inspire you to glue, paint and sew to your heart’s content.
2. Shadowhunters Magnetic Bookmarks by Magicbookmarks: Shadowhunters character Clary Fairchild is a well-known artist, so we wanted to showcase something to do with the Shadowhunters series – as well as something hand-crafted! Magnetic bookmarks are a simple and useful way to showcase your own personal art or someone else’s you love! This Etsy store is chocked full of adorable ones including Game of Thrones and Harry Potter inspired ones. Which characters would you want to see on magnetic bookmarks?
3. “Crocheted Abode A La Mode: 20 Yummy Crochet Projects for Your Home” by Twinkie Chan: We would be remiss if we did not mention our dear friend and the crafting queen, Twinkie Chan! She’s put out a new book that will help you to crochet in the comfort of your own home. Her instructables and easy to understand and cute, so why not get hands on with your yarn and make something cute and yummy?
4. Deadpool Amigurumi by Jazenami: Amigurumi are probably one of the most popular craftable item I’ve seen on Etsy that showcases popular fandom characters. And I feel like, if I gave it a shot, I might be able to succeed in making something. It’s easy to not only find adorable amigurumi plushies on Etsy – but patterns as well! You can find a pattern for nearly every amigurumi you might want to make so you can give it a go and craft it yourself!
5. “The Truth is Out There” X-files embroidery hoop by SamWiebkin: Our heart is melting for this X-files inspired quaint embroidery hoop. There are a ton of nerdy inspired embroidery hoop pieces of art out there – and if there isn’t one you love, there are patterns to help you make a special geeky one just for yourself!
6. Cubeecraft of all sorts of nerdy variety!: Cubeecraft is probably the craft that I would start with if I was going to get crafty. It’s kind of like Minecraft-inspired origami. It involves folding paper into adorable square shaped characters! There are tons of free printable patterns at the site, so why not try to craft a cube today? You have to love crafts that require little to no investment in supplies and that seem easy enough, even for craft inept people like me.
7. Papercraft unicorn head by WastePaperHead: This unicorn is so chic yet so simple! I don’t know how difficult something like this is to make, but this statement piece no doubt gets tons of compliments from your guests. Plus it’s a magical freaking unicorn, so it’s amazing in and of itself. Have you ever tried making anything this large yet magical? Let us know in a comment!
8. Boba Fett inspired Bounty Hunter Clutch Bag by SentFromMars: The glorious and stunningly creative purses created by Mari of Sent From Mars combine geek and chic in a way fit for the red carpet. These purses are ones I will continue to rave about – I own this very one! This gloriously crafted handbag needs no introduction, and there are many more nerd-inspired ones to choose from including Luna from Sailor Moon, Kirby, Bowser, Spunky from Rocko’s Modern Life and more. Pricey, but well worth it!
9. Sailor Moon Shadow Box by EclecticElathera: I have the pleasure of meeting the artist behind this incredible store at a convention when I was there with Antipode Geek Bellydance. She not only creates unique 3D paper art, but she also sells the DIY version, for those who want to construct their own shadow boxes. I really love the trend of crafty artists who also give you the supplies to try it yourself!
Noses to the Window is a feature that celebrates all the nerdy things we’d buy if we could! We showcase fandom-inspired fashion, accessories, toys, home decor, and much more. If you have a product that you think would be great to feature, please email us!