Heya Iggles and Miggles!
It feels good to be back posting here once a month with some fandom food goodies!
How are you liking the new site? I am particularly loving it!
So this month I thought I would share a recipe from one of my new favorite cartoons, Steven Universe. If you watch it, then you know about Cookie Cats!
In the cartoon, Cookie Cats are these delicious little ice cream sandwiches that are filled with half vanilla and half strawberry ice cream.
When going into making a Cookie Cat I didn’t want to make an ice cream sandwich. So I guess this kind of ruins the integrity of the food and wouldn’t necessarily be directly copied from the show.
Ice cream sandwiches are messy..and I wanted something to have on the go or easy to grab. Something to savor and not have to rush to eat because it’s going to melt.
So I took the literal ‘cookie’ in the Cookie Cat and made it so.
I wanted to originally make a whoopie pie. A nice really soft cookie filled with half vanilla half strawberry filling. I thought that I could do what I did when I made my Mad Love red velvet sandwich cookies but I failed. Miserably.
The cookies spread SO far that the cat shape was basically a blob with eyes.
I had a picture but I accidentally deleted it when I was going through getting rid of photos.
So I decided to toss those in the trash and try for round two. This time I used sugar cookie mix and got these!
– Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
– 1/3 cup butter (soft not melted)
– 1tbs flour
– 1 egg
– 2tbs cocoa powder
– 1 jar vanilla frosting
– 1 jar strawberry frosting
– Cat shape cookie cutter
– Small circle cookie cutter
1. In a standing mixer or in a bowl, mix the dry cookie mix, butter, flour, cocoa powder and egg together and mix until a ball forms.
2. Take ball and shape it into a disc shape and put it into the fridge for about 30 minutes. While it’s in the fridge, preheat the oven to 375.
3. After the 30 minutes, take disc and roll it out with a rolling pin and use the cookie cutter to cut out the cat shapes.
4. Take the cat shapes and put them on a cookie sheet. Using the small circle, cut out two eyes on approximately HALF of the cat heads. These will be the tops of the cookies and the ones without eyes will be the bottoms.
5. Once everything is cut out, place the cookies in the fridge again for another 30 minutes. This helps keep the shape during baking.
6. After 30 minutes, pop the cookies in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes depending on your oven.
7. After cookies are cooled, pipe or spread strawberry frosting on the RIGHT side of the cookies with no eyes and vanilla on the LEFT. Top them with the cookies with eyes and you’re done!
Now, with the frosting you can either buy both strawberry and vanilla like I did OR make your own using your favorite recipe or looking online.
These cookies might not be for everyone. Why? Because the frosting makes them really sweet. I think if I were to go back and maybe re-think a filling I would go with a possible marshmallow one or something. But then again, these were meant to be ice cream sandwiches and nothing more.
I think it will be fun to pop these in my lunches for a midday sweet snack.
I hope that you guys enjoy these! And I would love to see people’s renditions if they end up using ice cream instead of frosting!
Until next month!