In the episode titled Beautopia from Adventure Time, Jake tells Finn to hurry up when saying goodbye to Susan Strong and that he grabbed “Like 100 soft pretzels”.
So I decided that I would make some Hyooman (the tribe Susan Strong is apart of) soft pretzels.
I didn’t manage to see what they actually looked like (I don’t think they even show them?) so I thought of my own.
In my head, the reason why the Hyoomans reacted the way they did to candy and all things sweet is because they live underground and are probably used to salty, strong tasting foods. They’re surrounded by garbage and what I assume really gross water from up above.
I decided to go with pretzel bites instead of making fully shaped pretzels. Since Susans motor skills aren’t the greatest I would assume neither are the other Hyoomans so their ability to form pretzel shapes would be null. But what would their version of pretzels even look like? I don’t even know but I would assume they wouldn’t be pretty..or at the very least would be oddly shaped.
As for flavors, I went with garlic salt and romano cheese. Strong and salty since those are the types of smells I would imagine down below where she and the Hyoomans live. It would be smells and flavors they’d be used to.
NOW, don’t take my word for any of this, these are just theories I have created on my own.
So, lets get started.
Here is what you’ll need!
– 1 1/2 cups warm water
– 1 packet of active yeast
– 1 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 tbs sugar
– 4 cups flour
– 3/4 cup baking soda
– 1 egg
– 3 tbs salt
– 1 tbs garlic powder
– Grated romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 and line your cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the warm water and yeast packet and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with your bread hook attached to it, add the flour and the water and yeast mixture and mix for about 3 minutes or until everything is fully combined. If you don’t have a mixer, you can do this by hand!
- Separate dough into sections and roll out until you get a long log shape (snake shape).
- Cut rope into small pieces and using scissors or a knife score the top cutting a slit.
- In a pot, bring water and baking powder to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, put about 8 pieces of the dough into the water for about 30 seconds and remove with a slotted spoon and place onto the cookie sheet.
- Let the dough pieces cool and dry off for a few minutes. While this is happening, whisk the one egg in a bowl and in another mix the garlic powder and salt together.
- Brush egg onto the dough pieces and then sprinkle with the garlic salt mix and then with the grated romano cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they look similar to the ones in my photo. You don’t want them to burn but you also don’t want them to be under baked.
I think they turned out great. They’ve got just the right amount of garlic and salt and the romano isn’t too strong. But I can definitely see these as being worthy of Jake the Dog.
The dough that I made made a lot more than these. I just ended up eating a lot of them.
Also, you can make dipping sauces for these too..cheese, marinara..anything that may tickle your fancy!
While this recipe wasn’t really a food replication, it was fun to create something that was inspired by own imagination of a food mentioned in an episode haha.