Welcome back to another Fake Geek Girls Like Us interview. Fake Geek Girls Like Us is a feature on +5 Charisma where I interview some awesome geeky and nerdy ladies out in the geek world. This month I get to chat with a great friend of mine, Sophie Paas-Lang, about X-Files, fanfiction and zines!
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Sophie Paas-Long and I’m a recent graduate of OCAD University, where I studied illustration and art history. I like biking and Canadian politics.
2. What are you currently reading?
Elena Ferrante’s Neopolitan Novels. They are beautiful books about two girls growing up in post-war Italy. I’ve just started the second book, The Story of a New Name.
3. When did you first realize that you may be considered a “nerd” or a “geek”?
In elementary school I made a great group of friends who all liked the same things – we read fantasy books, we marathoned Lord of the Rings movies, watched a lot of Monty Python. We never considered these things nerdy, we just enjoyed them. So I suppose it would be more like middle school or high school, when cliques really started to form, that I had a real awareness that I liked things that were considered geeky.
4. Can you talk about your X-Files zine? How did you get interested in X-Files? What about X-Files inspired you to create this work?
Absolutely! Scully’s Wardrobe is my recent X-Files Fashion zine. It’s a collection of illustrations I made of my favourite outfits worn by Dana Scully. I just got into the X-Files this year and have been watching all the episodes really quickly on Netflix. Mulder and Scully are such great characters and they play off each other so well. And the early nineties costume choices are just INCREDIBLE. Sometimes I would look at Scully’s suits and wonder how on earth it even came to exist. The shoulder pads! The huge jackets! These suits somehow never fit her quite properly but Gillian Anderson just rocks them. I think the suits serve to emphasize Scully’s strength of character and desire to be taken seriously – she is a woman working in a boys’ world, which is a theme they explore a lot in the really early seasons. Looking at them now, the clothes are dated and a bit goofy, but I have a lot of respect for them – Scully looks awesome all the time. So I drew some of my favourites and collected them all into the zine!
5. What are your thoughts on the X-Files reunion? Do you have any predictions on what’s going to happen?
Oh my goodness, I have no idea! I’m still not done the series (I’m now on season 7 and I’ve managed to get most of the way spoiler free) so I’m trying not to jump to any conclusions. The trailer was…dubious. I’m worried it’s a bit forced, but we’ll see. Isn’t it kinda weird how Gillian Anderson sucked away all David Duchovny’s life force and now she’s a glorious sun goddess and he’s a toad?
6. Are there any artists working in the realm of fandoms and nerdy art that you like or inspire you?
There are so many. It’s so great that there are so many artists working in fandom and they are able to develop careers out of it. We’re in a golden age of fandom. Right now I’ve been loving Kate Leth’s X-Files drawings!
7. What zines do you have planned to make in the future?
Right now I’m in the midst of some exciting client work but I’ve always got zine ideas on the back burner that I get to work on when I have a moment. I’m working on one about the wives in Mad Max: Fury Road, and also one about baseball!
8. Are you into fanfiction? If so, can you give us some fic recs?
I’m not a huge fanfic reader! I don’t read too much of it these days BUT I did find a great one recently and I’ll share it. I found it because I was searching for everything to do with my hunky boyfriend, Tom Hardy, and someone mentioned something involving ‘Tom Hardy as a viking slave’. Of course, this I NEEDED to see. It took me a while to find it but I did eventually – it was an alternate-universe Inception fanfiction in which Tom Hardy’s character was, indeed, a viking slave. I read it. I laughed. I cried. It’s amazing, I recommend it to everyone. (http://archiveofourown.org/works/170021?view_adult=true)
9. Who was the first female character that you can remember looking up to?
Tough one! Maybe Aravis from C.S Lewis’ The Horse and His Boy. She was a tough girl who knew her mind! This was my favourite book of the Narnia series-I could look at the exquisite illustrations for hours. Also maybe Crysta from Fern Gully.
10. Are there any movies or television shows that are coming out that you are looking forward to (near or distant future)?
I’m really looking forward to Star Wars: The Force Awakens! I’ve never considered myself a hardcore Star Wars fan but I’ve been feeling nostalgic about it, and the cast is amazing!
Extra Sophie Notes:
- You can find my portfolio at: www.sophiepaaslang.com
- I post a lot of art things on my tumblr: www.sophiepaaslang.tumblr.com
- You can watch my life spiral out of control as I complete the final seasons of The X-Files on twitter: twitter.com/sophiepaaslang
- Get in touch with me at email@example.com to ask about my art or to chat about The X-Files.
Thanks to Sophie for chatting with us! Make sure to check out her amazing art at the above links. Thanks for tuning in! Fake Geek Girl Like Us is an interview series on +5 Charisma where we talk to girls in nerd culture. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be featured!