Welcome back to another Fake Geek Girls Like Us interview. Fake Geek Girls Like Us is a feature on +5 Charisma where I interview some awesome geeky and nerdy ladies out in the geek world. This month I get to chat with comics publisher, Hope Nicholson!
1.Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? What fandoms are you into?
I’m a comics publisher/editor, sometimes historian, event organizer. For fandoms I’m into, it’s mostly various forms of comics.
2. What projects are you currently working on?
I’m working on a Kickstarter reprint of Fashion In Action, which by the time this article comes out I’ll find out if it’s met its goal or not.
3. When did you first realize that you may be considered a “nerd” or a “geek”?
I’ve always been really into comics and sci-fi, and kept reading those more than anything else, the only time I realized there might be a name for it was sometime around junior high when I started hiding reading these so no one would make fun of me.
4. What are you currently reading?
I just bought the first trade of Trees which I’m excited to read! I also regularly read the webcomic Menage a Trois by Gisele Lagace, incredibly funny (and sexy) comic
5. Can you talk about the process of creating The Secret Loves of Geek Girls? What motivated you to start that project? How was the process of putting all the stories together?
It started off as a documentary project, to bring voice to fangirls and show people outside of fandom what our lives are like and how our passions influence us. From there I realized that our love lives were an area of stress, frustration, joy, and confusion and thought that the conversations I had one on one with my friends might help benefit other people. The process was fairly simple! Everyone involved was great to work with and the editing process was fairly simple.
6. What is your favourite Con to go to or table at and why?
TCAF both to attend and table at! Since it’s free to attend and doesn’t have pop culture guests, all the fans who come are really, truly enthusiastic about comics and trying new material.
7. Do you have any thoughts on the upcoming X-Men movie? Are you looking forward to it? Do you have any concerns for the film?
Well, I really liked the fashions in the last X-men film that was set in the 70s, so I assume I’ll like that about the 1980s film as well. I don’t have much passion for superhero films for the most part.
8. Have you been watching the Marvel Netflix shows Jessica Jones or Daredevil? If so, what did you think of Season 2 of Daredevil? Which show do you like better?
I haven’t sat down and watched Season 2 of Daredevil yet!! I mean to though. I did watch Jessica Jones and Daredevil, and thought Jessica Jones was much more interesting, though it could have been a shorter miniseries. I felt it dragged on places. But it was a very meaningful series and one that I was so glad to have out there.
9. Who was the first female character that you can remember looking up to?
Dazzler! Specifically where she is trying to make it on her own in the big city, struggling to find money and pay her rent in run down apartments, taking on gigs she normally wouldn’t…maybe this subconsciously influenced me because that’s what I ended up like in my mid-twenties!
10. Are there any movies or television shows that are coming out that you are looking forward to (near or distant future)?
Looking forward to Luke Cage for sure! Excited to see how they bring in elements of the comic series and give it that Netflix depth.
Hope Nicholson’s Notes:
Thanks to Hope Nicholson for chatting with us! Make sure to check out her links to social media and her festival. Thanks for tuning in! Fake Geek Girl Like Us is an interview series on +5 Charisma where we talk to girls in nerd culture. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be featured!