Disney officially announced on July 29, 2016 that it will be discontinuing the production of its Disney Infinity collection and completely closing down the online features associated with Disney Infinity! Find out the details below.
If you are anything like me, you totally jumped onto the Disney Infinity bandwagon. I have to admit it was a fun time while it lasted, but it seems that Disney has decided that the Infinity product is just not doing well enough to continue spending time and effort on it.
I totally understand when a company decides to cancel a product, but the timeline seems awfully quick when you think that they just released the Star Wars Infinity just a few months ago and were recently stating that they would be putting out a whole Star Wars set by Christmas.
So here’s the important information:
- Console versions will continue to operate with full access to figures and play sets only EXCEPT for community content and online multiplayer.
- You can download community content and Toy Boxes until September 30, 2016
- Immediately: No in-game purchases available for anyone on Steam, PC, or pretty much anything other than consoles for version 2.0. (Steam can still make purchases for 3.0)
That’s all the stuff that is happening immediately… here are the dates to come:
As of September 30, 2016
- You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app store
- The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued
- Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the AppStore
- The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017
As of January 3, 2017
- No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed
As of March 3, 201
- Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
- All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued
So if you’ve read all that… Disney is pretty much saying that unless you have the Console version, your game will be unplayable as of March 3, 2017. If you have the Console version you will only be able to play the game that you have on the disc or downloaded… no new Toy Boxes, no online multiplayer… just the basic worlds that come with each set and the Toy Boxes you have directly on your system. If you have any questions you can read more information on the Infinity Site.
For me that is really frustrating. Don’t get me wrong, I actually mainly play the basic worlds and storylines, but to completely discontinue a whole line within 8 months seems a little ridiculous to me. What about the people who invested a lot of money on the figures and sets that are only playable in Toy Box being they don’t have their own worlds? I’m really saddened by this news.
I’d love to hear what you think about the whole announcement. Do you use the Toy Box feature? How will this affect you??
Feature Image: Disney Infinity