IGGPPCamp 2017: Jell-O Aquarium Tutorial
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Something to Mix With
- Something to Boil Water with
- Wide-Mouthed Jar (or clear plastic cup… smaller is better and you’ll make more than one)
- Blue Jell-O mix (can’t find this? see below)
- Gummy sea creatures (Swedish Fish, Gummy Octopuses, Sharks, or other aquatic animals)
- Something to break the surface of the Jell-O/Gelatin
- Whipped Cream (optional)
Not Using Jell-O?
- Gelatin Packets
- Raspberry Extract
- Blue Food Coloring
- Electric Whisk
Directions for Using Jell-O
- Follow the directions on the Jell-O box (you’ll need the bowl, measuring cup, the Jell-O mix, something to boil water with and water).
- Pour into your jar(s) or cup(s).
- Chill until you are ready to serve (the color from the fish will bleed into your Jell-O if you do it too early).
- Take a butter-knife or knife or something else and gently break the surface of the Jell-O an slip in your gummy sea life! You can put them up along the side or in the middle. Depending on how deep your jar is, you could probably get some on the bottom.
- Then decorate as you wish! Whipped cream for waves or fishing jumping out of the water, etc.
Note: The Jell-O is a bit darker than I’d like, but it tastes better and is easier to work with.
Directions for Using Gelatin
- Follow the directions on the box for making Gelatin. Mine said boil 3 cups of water and keep one cold. Then pour your 4 packets of gelatin into the cold water for 1 minute to firm up.
- Once the water is boiling, add it to the cold water gelatin. Then use an electric whisk for 5 minutes.
- Once hat is done, at 2 drops of blue food coloring, 8 drops of Stevia, and a TBSP of Raspberry Extract.
- Gently whisk together and then pour into the jar.
- Put the jar in the fridge and let it set until you are ready to serve.
- Before you serve, use something to gently create a slit in the gelatin. Then take your favorite aquatic gummies and carefully push them down into the gelatin.
- You can put whipped cream on top to create waves or add any of your favorite things to the jar.