IGGPPCamp 2016: No-Sew House/Troop Tie
Sometimes we just really want to show our pride, but can’t get a hold of the high-priced items we want! No-Sew House/Troop Ties are a quick and easy way to show your pride for anything (Geek Fandoms, Sports, School Pride) without breaking the bank! Dazzle these babies up all you want. All you’ll need a hot glue gun and some felt! This craft makes 2 ties, so you can make one for you and one for a friend.
- 2 pieces of 8×11 inch Felt (2 different colors)
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Yarn or a Tie Pin
1. First, take one sheet of felt and fold it in half hot-dog ways. This should be the color you want for the background of your tie.
2. Draw a tie or fish-like design on one side. You could use a sharpie or a pencil. You can use the other side of the tie for your actual tie.
3. Cut out the design and now you have 2 ties!
4. Next, Fold the second sheet of felt and trace the outline of the tie you cut out.
5. When you cut this one out, cut it a little bigger, because it will be the color you are going to cut your stripes out of.
6. You can now either use a ruler to draw the stripes at a diagonal on the felt you’ll use for the stripes or you can be gutsy and wing it.
7. After you have the stripes cut, you can start to arrange them on your background tie. Adjust for width and size or even use the scraps from what you’ve cut if something else doesn’t work. Don’t worry about hangover.
8. On the back of each stripe, put a line of hot glue and carefully lay it on the tie. (I recommend doing this on a silicon baking mat or on a safe space for gluing.)
9. Once it is dry, trim the excess off of the edges and, if needed, touch up with a little extra glue.
10. Finally, cut a 22in long piece of yarn (or prepare your pin). Put a line of glue on the back and carefully place the yarn (or pin) on the back.
11. You are now ready to show your pride!