42 Ways to a Healthy You! March 2017 Fitness and Wellness Challenges
Can you believe that March marks Round 42 for the International Geek Girl Pen Pals Club? Since that happens to also be one of our favorite numbers (it is, after all, the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything), why not incorporate it into this month’s fitness challenges as well?
There are a lot of different ways to focus on your health. We like to take a 3-pronged approach to our challenges as often as possible, focusing on mental wellness, physical wellness, and fitness. This month, we’ve come up with a list of 42 things that are good for you, plus a challenge that incorporates some of these into a routine for the month. You can focus on one, two, or all three – do what’s best for you this month!
42 Things That Are Good for You
- Drink at least 32 oz. of water per day.
- Write yourself a positive affirmation and tape it to your mirror so you see it first thing in the morning.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Count to 10 before responding when upset or angry.
- List one thing each day that you’re grateful for.
- Walk at least 6,000 steps per day.
- Hug someone.
- Do 10 to 20 Minutes of HIIT training (High-Intensity Interval Training)
- Do 10 jumping jacks.
- Make yourself a healthy smoothie.
- Perform Sun Salutation A (see video below).
- Take a walk outside.
- Get a manicure or pedicure (Or both! And yes, guys can do this too!)
- Compliment a friend or loved one.
- Go media free for an entire day.
- End your day by reminding yourself of 3 things you are grateful for.
- Sing along with the radio. (The louder, the better.)
- Take a long, warm bath. Add bubbles! (Or smelly salts.)
- Stretch for 10 minutes.
- Try something new.
- Read a book, a poem, or a relaxing article.
- Take your dinner outside.
- Visit a farmer’s market and pick out some healthy fruits and veggies for a homemade meal.
- Make yourself a mug of tea or coffee.
- Do 20 sit-ups.
- De-clutter a space that you use often.
- Plant flowers.
- Take a nap.
- Post only positive things on social media for an entire day.
- Change your computer or phone background to something that makes you smile.
- Send someone a piece of random happy mail.
- Cross an item off of your to-do list that has been there for quite a while.
- Allow yourself be completely silly for 10 minutes.
- Do something that is outside of your normal comfort zone.
- As you navigate the world (on your commute, a daily walk, around your office, etc.), find 3 unexpected, beautiful things to stop and appreciate.
- Step outside at night and look at the stars (or the moon, if you’re in the city!)
- Binge-watch a favorite TV show and chill for a day.
- Think about something you are good at. Have you done it lately? If not, go now!
- Treat yourself with a piece of chocolate or a glass of wine.
- Create a personal mission statement.
- Skip rather than walking.
First: Mental Wellness
Post an affirmation on your mirror each night before bed. Read it to yourself the next morning. Rather than discarding these at the end of each day, save them in a jar. Pull them out whenever you need some extra self love!
Twice Weekly (at minimum)
Take 10 minutes to do something you want to do purely because you enjoy it. Make sure it is a thing that brings you joy!
Next: Physical Wellness
Drink 32 oz of water per day. (Want to kick it up a notch? Double that to 64 oz.)
Twice Weekly (at minimum)
Eat a healthy breakfast that consists of a healthy fat and a healthy protein.
Last, but not least: Fitness
Walk at least 6,000 steps each day. (Level up: increase your minimum goal to 10,000 steps.)
- 10 Minutes HIIT
We like this one:
- Sun Salutation A x 3
- Run (or jog) for 10 minutes, with a 2 minute warm-up and a 2 minute cool-down
Want to kick it up a notch? Do 2 or all 3 of these things!
Get started with us on March 1, or jump in at any point during the month!